Thursday, December 22, 2005

Frosty, fairytale, drummer boy and general fucking about


In case you haven't noticed, we're approaching the end of a frenetic month of "christmas is coming" being shoved down everybody's throat. No, I didn't write any christmas cards...sorry. Anyway christmas and end of years are generally pretty cool if a little depressing. You have a great excuse to get drunk and spend time with people you love but it still does not make up for the sheer consumerism side of it. My friend told me at the week end that father christmas as we know him today was a coca cola invention. Yes, the white bearded granpa in a big red coat only had one intention from the start: to get little kids hooked on caffeine. If I ever have kids, I've always wondered if I could sustain the lie. I don't know what the Cocteau Twins said to their kids about santa but if they hadn't had them kids, they would never have done the below version of frosty the snowman, so I've read somewhere. It's pretty cute, almost funny as it could be a parody of the cocteaus singing that song, like more cocteau than cocteau.
Also, here's the Dandy Warhols version of that xmas classic little drummer boy. Tipically, that song is a all about some poor young kid offering gifts to baby Jesus although he's got nothing. And what did Jesus give back I 'm asking? Nothing but trouble that Jesus really... prophets, can't live with them, can't live without them (although you wish). Next is the British and I suppose the Irish's favourite christmas song (it's all about drunks and lowlives), The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's fairytale of New York. I love that song, it's a really sad one behind it's humour and drunken joy. Favourite bit, when Kirsty sings "you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot. Happy christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last!" You've probably heard that song lots already if you live in the UK, mostly in shopping centers if they haven't banned it from their playlist yet. One that won't be played in Brighton's Churchill square shopping center is Shawn Lee's I'll be fucking you this christmas. Shawn's almost being slimy on that one, he's good lad though, does funky folky stuff. I mean sometimes christmas can be so boring, I wish you all the sex you can get. To aggravate things, listen to the Firmturds' Oh well Noel from the Ho Ho Homocrime xmas compilation. The homocrimers go at it straight for the ass of that poor Noel, I hope they release a follow up where Noel actually gets it in the end, or where our friend gets Noel, depending which way you look at it. Ethical World View closes our selection, singing about what's on our minds during christmas. Do they know it's christmas is not a cover and also appears on the Ho Ho Homocrime compilation. This is a homocrime band aid including members of Lesbo Pig and Humousexual. The song is half dead serious and half piss take of charity records, recorded as it was played: on the spot.
As it's a time for presents, there should be quite a few during the coming days. Lots of love to you people!

Cocteau Twins - frosty the snowman
Dandy Warhols - little drummer boy
The Pogues feat Kirsty MacColl - fairytale of new york
Shawn Lee - I'll be fucking you this christmas
The Firmturds - oh well, noel
Ethical World View - do they know it's christmas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home